Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture : Proceedings of the Workshop on Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture organized by the SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department, January 11-15, 1999, Iloilo City, Philippines
MetadataShow full item record
The proceedings have three review papers on the mangroves of Southeast Asia, silvofisheries, and Indonesia's integrated mangrove forest and aquaculture systems. The rest of the papers, all on mangrove-friendly aquaculture efforts are from the Philippines, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, and Cambodia. All the countries represented had varied methodologies, with Cambodia in its initial stages while some countries like Indonesia and Thailand have tested methodologies. The proceedings include a tabulation of the reported mangrove-friendly technology by country -- e.g. silvofisheries in ponds (mangrove and fish/shrimp/mudcrab) and pens (mangrove and mudcrab). The workshop recommendations are classified into three major topics: problems associated with mangroves, problems associated with aquaculture practices, and socioeconomic and cultural issues.
Primavera, J. H., Garcia, L. M. B., Castaños, M. T., & Surtida, M. B. (Eds.). (2000). Mangrove-friendly aquaculture: Proceedings of the Workshop on Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture organized by the SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department, January 11-15, 1999, Iloilo City, Philippines. Tigbauan, Iloilo, Philippines: Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Aquaculture Department.
- Publisher's note
- Background of the workshop
- Review papers
- Mangroves of Southeast Asia
- Silvofishery: an aquaculture system harmonized with the environment
- Integrated mangrove forest and aquaculture systems in Indonesia
W.J. Fitzgerald Jr
- Country efforts on mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Japan: mangrove areas and their utilization
- Philippines: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
S. Aypa and S. Baconguis
- Thailand: mangrove-friendly shrimp farming
S. Tanan and A. Tansutapanich
- Viet Nam: Mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Malaysia: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
P.S. Choo and S.A. Raihan
- Brunei Darussalam: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
L. Abdul Hamid
- Indonesia: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Cambodia: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Myanmar: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- SEAFDEC/AQD experience papers
- Marine fishes and coastal resource management: mangrove-friendly development strategies
L.M.aB. Garcia, J.D. Toledo, and R.F. Agbayani
- Property rights and collective action in the management of mangrove ecosystems: implications of the adoption of mangrove friendly-aquaculture
- Mud crab (Scylla serrata) culture in tidal flats with existing mangroves
A.T. Triño and E.M. Rodriguez
- Mangrove-associated mollusc research at SEAFDEC/AQD
M.R. de Castro-Mallare
- SEAFDEC/AQD experience in mangrove-friendly aquaculture training and extension
R.F. Agbayani and K.G. Corre
- Available mangrove-friendly technologies
- Workshop recommendations
- List of participants and observers
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Aquaculture Department (Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 1992)This report describes the activities of the SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department conducted during the year 1991 under the following headings: Research; Training and information; ADSEA - direction for aquaculture research and ...
Resource enhancement and sustainable aquaculture practices in Southeast Asia: challenges in responsible production of aquatic species : proceedings of the international workshop on resource enhancement and sustainable aquaculture practices in Southeast Asia 2014 (RESA) Romana-Eguia, Maria Rowena R.; Parado-Estepa, Fe D.; Salayo, Nerissa D.; Lebata-Ramos, Ma. Junemie Hazel (Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 2015-08)The conference was held in order to promote and augment regional initiatives on resource enhancement and sustainable aquaculture practices, and to contribute to poverty alleviation, livelihood and food security in Southeast ...