The food and feeding habit of Penaeus monodon Fabricius collected from Makato River, Aklan, Philippines (Decapoda: Natantia)
MetadataShow full item record
The food of Penaeus monodon Fabricius collected from Makato River, Aklan, consisted mainly of Crustacea (small crabs and shrimps) and molluscs, making up 85% of ingested food. The remaining 15% consisted of fish, polychaetes, ophiuroids, debris, sand, and silt. Results indicate that P. monodon is more of a predator of slow-moving benthic macroinvertebrates rather than a scavenger or detritus feeder. Feeding activity (determined from stomach fullness) of female prawns is significantly higher than that of males. Preliminary experiments on foregut clearance revealed that clearance rate is rapid with 95% of food transported from the foregut 4 hours after feeding. Feeding behavior of P. monodon appears to be associated with the tidal phase. A significantly higher mean gut fullness index indicative of increased feeding activity, was noted when the tide is on the ebb.
Marte, C. L. (1980). The food and feeding habit of Penaeus monodon Fabricius collected from Makato River, Aklan, Philippines (Decapoda: Natantia).
Crustaceana, 38(3), 225-236. http://hdl.handle.net/10862/1034
- AQD Journal Articles 
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
An overview of the nutrition, feed and feeding techniques of prawn penaeid/shrimps Piedad-Pascual, Felicitas (Philippine Council for Aquatic and Marine Research and Development, 1989)This paper echoes what transpired during the first International Conference of Penaeid Prawns/Shrimps held in Iloilo City in December 4-7, 1984, particularly on the Nutrition nd Feed Development. Around 25 papers were ...
Mineral requirements of Penaeids Piedad-Pascual, F. (Institut Francais de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la Mer, 1990)Marine shrimps absorb minerals from their aquatic environment aside from the minerals that come from the food they eat. Thus, the dietary requirement of shrimps for certain minerals will depend on the amounts and availability ...
Mangroves as nurseries: Shrimp populations in mangrove and non-mangrove habitats Primavera, J. H. (Elsevier, 1998)A total of 4845 penaeids belonging to nine species—Metapenaeus anchistus, M. ensis, M. moyebi, M. philippinensis, Penaeus merguiensis, P. monodon, P. semisulcatus, P. latisulcatus and Metapenaeopsis palmensis—were collected ...